WHAT IF I DON’T REMOVE MY WISDOM TEETH?
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause a number of problems. Some of the issues that we see here in our practice include:
- Impacted wisdom teeth forcing your other teeth out of alignment
- Infections in the gums caused by bacteria entering small openings in the gum tissue from a partially impacted tooth
- Wisdom teeth that have developed decay because they can’t be properly brushed and flossed
- Clenching and grinding caused by teeth that are not properly aligned
- Pain from wisdom teeth putting excessive pressure on the rest of the teeth in the jaw
- Cracks and fractures to the other teeth from the added stress
- Occasionally cysts and tumors occur around impacted wisdom teeth
There are many excellent studies validating the medical and dental need for the removal of impacted wisdom teeth. Please feel free to make an appointment to discuss your specific situation and to determine need and a course of action.
HOW WILL YOU DETERMINE IF I NEED MY WISDOM TEETH REMOVED?
The first step is to call Liberty Oral & Facial Surgery and schedule your consultation appointment with oral surgeon Dr. Bryan McLelland. Dr. McLelland will listen carefully to your concerns and then perform a thorough evaluation, which will also include radiographs so that we can see what’s going on beneath the surface of your gums.
If we determine that surgical removal of your wisdom teeth is appropriate, we will schedule your surgery for a time that’s convenient for you. Since we may be using anesthesia, you will need to arrange for someone to drive you to and from your appointment. Dr. McLelland will also give you your pre-surgery instructions so that you know what to expect and can prepare for your procedure.
You’ll also be provided after-care instructions for the hours and days following your procedure. Make sure to read through these and follow them to decrease your risks of complications like a dry socket or infection. If medication is needed following your wisdom teeth extraction, Dr. McLelland will give you a prescription. Take all medications exactly as prescribed.
We welcome your questions and encourage you to call us at 509-922-2273 or schedule your appointment today.